Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Seasoned Baked Potato Wedges: American Soul Food Recipe



My Mom in law asked me for a recipe in Arabic, 'you know that food you cooked the other day, where you put some potatoes and bread together in the oven?' I was puzzled, had no idea what she was talking about. I tried to remember all the dishes that I made this week, and then, aha- I remembered. It was the seasoned baked potato wedges. I was really missing the taste of African American style seasoned fried potato wedges one day, so I made a healthier baked version dipped in seasoned breadcrumbs.

This dish is simple to make and it's very filling. I used only 4 medium potatoes to feed 2 adults and 2 children and we all ate to our fill.


Seasoning salt and breadcrumbs are not available in my locality, so I had to improvise and make it myself! As we say, 'work with what ya got.' Breadcrumbs are easy to make. For the seasoning salt, I experimented with all sorts of different spices until I was delighted to come up with a mixture just like the one my Dad used to use in his fried chicken recipe. As a dip, I really wanted some mayonnaise. But the mayonnaise they sell at the store is expensive and the jar is very small, doesn't last long in a house with three children and extended family. So by trial and error I came up with the perfect mayonnaise which is even better than the stuff we get from the store.

Click here for my recipe of homemade seasoned breadcrumbs. I'll be posting up my recipe for homemade mayonnaise too, so stay tuned.

SEASONED BAKED POTATO WEDGES RECIPE

Serves 4

4 medium potatoes
2 eggs
2 cups seasoned breadcrumbs
Cooking oil spray

Wash your potatoes and leave the skins on, cutting out any inedible pieces. Cut the potatoes into wedges by cutting them in quarters, and then cutting the quarters into halves. Whisk up the eggs with a fork in a separate bowl, and put your seasoned breadcrumbs into another separate bowl. Lightly oil your baking tray. Preheat the oven to medium heat.

Now dip your wedges one by one into the egg, then into the seasoned breadcrumbs, covering it generously, and then put them into the tray. Apply a little oil spray onto each piece. Cooking oil spray is hard to get here, so I just put some vegetable oil into a plain spray bottle.

Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes, or until the wedges are golden brown. Serve while still hot, with mayonnaise on the side or your favorite dip. Enjoy your soul food! (:


* If you want some hot and spicy wedges, mix some cayenne pepper, chili powder or hot curry powder into the breadcrumbs.
*For the shake and bake method, put the seasoned breadcrumbs into a plastic bag. After dipping the wedges into the egg, put them into the bag, close it and shake it up until they are well coated. Then transfer to the tray.
*You can deep fry the wedges if you like.
*Use egg whites instead of whole eggs if you want to reduce calories.

4 comments:

Caroline said...

Yum! Sounds delicious!

Prim Rose Hill ©2008-2010 said...

oh my gosh! This looks soooo yummy!

Katia said...

This made me hungry. I know it is bad but I really like mayo, specially the homemade kind!

Shadia said...

My food grinder got broken today. So I will have to freeze some bread and grate it next time I want to make breadcrumbs. Just a tip for those of you with no food grinder. :)