Thursday, September 30, 2010

Homemade Mayonnaise Recipe


Here's the recipe for mayonnaise I said I'd post up, that I always make to go with  seasoned baked potato wedges. Mayonnaise compliments many dishes including rice, sandwiches, salads. The mayonnaise I make at home tastes more wholesome and better than the brand we get from the store; and it's far cheaper. So here's what you need:

Homemade Mayonnaise Recipe

1 egg
1 tsp mustard
1 tsp vinegar
1 tsp lemon juice (optional)
2 tsp sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
salt to taste

Put your egg in the blender with the mustard, vinegar, lemon juice, and sugar. Blend it up until it's smooth. Now put the blender on low speed and pour in the oil very slowly, keep blending until the mayonnaise is thick and creamy. Taste and see if you'd like to add a little extra salt or sugar. Store in a jar in the fridge, and consume within 3 days.

*Replace vegetable oil with extra virgin olive oil for a Mediterranean taste.
*Add a clove of garlic to the mix for Japanese style mayo.
*Chop up some parsley or coriander and mix a little in, but don't put it in the blender with your mayonnaise or it will turn green! Mix it in after you're done blending.
* Add some sweet basil for an Italian taste.
*For some extra spice, you can add cayenne pepper, chili or curry as you like.

4 comments:

anna said...

inshaa'allaah i will try this. my grandma used to make mayo with sweetened condensed milk in it... well i think that was the secret ingredient! anyway it tasted good. is the mustard powdered or wet?

Shadia said...

Salam Anna, if they had condensed milk here I certainly would have tried it! Let me know how it turns out. The mustard is the wet kind.

Katia said...

At home I make mayo to serve with artichokes, and I like to add cilantro to it.
I’ve bought condensed milk at Marjane, it is called lait concentré sucré.

Shadia said...

Sounds delicious Katia. Thanks for telling me! Marjane is a bit far away from me, but when my husband returns from overseas and we go to Rabat, I'll get him to take me insha Allah. :)