Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Natural Remedy for Baby with Colic or Gas

If you'd had a baby with gas that won't settle down, you'll know how distressing it is for them. The baby just can't relax because s/he's in so much pain, often screaming and crying through sleepless nights. I've tried gripe water and that's an excellent remedy indeed, but I've found that it only brings out gas that is coming up, not down. Baby lets out a great big burp but passing wind still remains the main problem.

Chamomile tea is the best remedy I've ever tried, and it settles baby's tummy for the next one or two days. This is the recipe I use for my newborn-

CHAMOMILE TEA COLIC REMEDY

  • 1 ounce chamomile tea
  • 1 ounce boiled water
Add ingredients to a bottle and mix well. Make sure it's warm by testing on your wrist before giving to baby, preferably after a feed and a nappy change when baby's ready to settle down to sleep. Giving baby a bath and a gentle massage with baby lotion or oil helps a lot too.

.

1 comment:

Sanaa Muslim Mama said...

Salam alaykum a rahmatullah. Nice blog mashllah. I find that when I reduced my tea intake and replaced with nettle, fennel and other herbal drinks the trapped wind was then eased for my babies. The only 'over the counter' product I thought work was 'Gripewater' which my mom's generation always claim beats the recent products that are out there on the market. The nettel, Aniseed and fennel teas are excellent for breast feeding mom's as it encourages the milk flow hamdulillah!